My cakes have a tendency to be heavy and rich in texture which is delicious in its own right, however, I have been striving for soft and light textured cake for a long time.
Today, I realized what I was doing wrong–I have been over mixing the batter. I was always paranoid that the ingredients wouldn’t be well incorporated and by default wouldn’t turn out yummy. So I mixed and I mixed and I mixed all the way to Bangkok. However, I was determined that today would be different.
I decided to try out Kanan’s Eggless Mango Cake–it looked so yummy I wanted to take a bite out of it–except since I couldn’t find any mangoes I substituted them for blueberries. I didn’t make any big changes to the recipe, since I just wanted to try out and see how the texture came out.
Verdict: Oh my god was it yummy!
First of all, I do admit, I might have mixed it more than I should have but it still came out light. Boy, am I thankful for that.
Secondly, I underestimated the amount of blueberries I would need. As a result, the blueberry taste was more subtle and taste of the condensed milk was more strong. You might want to add an additional 1/3 cup of pureed blueberry if you’re trying this recipe.
Overall, I am actually pretty happy with it but I might experiment with this more to bring out the blueberry taste.
- 1 1/4 cup plain four
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 80 gram (1/3 cup) unsalted butter–melted and cooled
- 250 gram (about 1 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup pureed blueberry
- Preheat your oven to 180 degree Celsius for about 20 minutes.
- Grease your cake pan with butter and set aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Separately, whisk pureed blueberry and melted butter until well mixed. Add in condensed milk and mix well.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Blend the ingredients. Do not over mix. Repeat: Do not over mix.
- Pop it into the oven for about 40 minutes or stick a toothpick into the center and if it comes out clean, you’re good.
- Let the cake cool completely and serve.